Archbell House

The ARCHBELL House, built circa 1850-1860, listed in the National Register of Historic Places, 1989. 211 South McLewean Street, Kinston, N.C.

The two story, three bay frame hipped-roof house at 211 South McLewean Street was built in the 1850's as a parsonage for the neighboring former First Baptist Church (now the White Rock Presbyterian Church, moved to 516 Thompson St. in 1900). Like the church, the exterior of this house exhibits simple, well-proportioned Greek Revival design, especially in its low hipped roof, twin interior chimneys, wide and unadorned frieze band, and corner pilasters. This residence was occupied between the late nineteenth and early twentieth century by Henry ARCHBELL, local confectioner, and his wife Lillie ARCHBELL. Lillie ARCHBELL was the editor and publisher of the Carolina and the Southern Cross, the North Carolina United Daughters of the Confederacy magazine, which ran from 1912 until 1914. The house is now owned by the Lenoir County Historical Association.
Source:Coastal Plain & Fancy, The Historic Architecture of Lenoir Co. & Kinston, N.C.; M. Ruth LITTLE (p.200)

Below is an original copy of "Carolina & the Southern Cross" published by Mrs. ARCHBELL. January 1914 issue.

The ARCHBELL House has recently been restored and now serves as the "What's Perkin? Coffee & Pastry Shop" helping to serve mentally handicapped individuals in Kinston. It is operated by Kim LANGSTON and George TAYLOR.

Below are pictures of the interior of the house.

The pictures above are believed to be of the SPARROW family of Kinston, written on the back of the portrait of the woman is BAKER SPARROW. From family history, the portrait of the woman is Ann Jane Baker SPARROW, 2nd wife of Isaac SPARROW. The portrait of the man is probably Isaac SPARROW.

During recent restoration of the house, there have been several mysterious happenings in the house that can't be explained-Please go see for yourself, and support the "What's Perkin?" Coffee & Pastry Shop.
Photos Buildings