Contributed by Heather|
This Industrial Issue of the Kinston Free Press was published in 1906 although there was an earlier Industrial Issue published in 1899. The issue is composed of both text and numerous pictures of places and people. This will be a slow project so please be patient.
We are grateful to the Free Press for permission to post anything of historical or genealogical in nature published prior to 1939.
CHURCHES AND LODGES
Kinston, a city of live church organizations. Secret and fraternal orders contain a large membership.
NOTE: Above in a box
The Industrial Issue of the Free Press which appeared in September 1899, said of the religious life of the town:
In the awakened life of this town, in the new energy and the development of every commercial interest about her, Kinston has not fallen into the idolatry of the material to the dwarfing of the spiritual well-being of her citizenship. It is too often the case that one or the other suffers while the other is advanced. It were better for Kinston that she remain the staid and sturdy village of the past, with her Christian virtues, reflected only on her own children, than that she should advance her industrial interests until she became a mighty city and at the same time ignore her spiritual needs or dwarf her intellectual culture.
What then was true of the town is true to-day. The spiritual advancement of the community has not been neglected. There are in the city eight organized bodies of worshipers among the white people and seven among the colored people.
The colored people have with the help and encouragement of their white neighbors erected nice houses of worship and maintain line and healthful church organizations. The pastor of the A. M. E. Zion Church is Rev. H. H. WELLS; Rev. E. T. BAILEY is pastor of the A. M. E. church; Rev. ASKEW of the Missionary Baptist church; Rev. GRIFFIN SUGGS of the Free Will Baptist Church; and Rev. JOHN H. SAMPSON, of the White Rock Presbyterian Church.
The Episcopal church has no regular pastor, but Rev. JOHN H. GRIFFITH, JR, the rector of St. Mary's, conducts services for the colored people at frequent intervals.
The colored Sunday School superintendents are JOHN L. BORDEN, A. M. E. Zion; JOHN C. SCARBON, A. M. E. Church, CHARLIE HATCLE, Free Will Baptist; MACK CANNON, White Rock Presbyterian; JOHN B. BANTON, Episcopal.
The white people of the city are moving forward along spiritual lines, and the various Church organizations have interesting histories. It is our purpose at this time, however, simply to show the wide scope of Christian work being done, and in this way to make clear to all that we offer, along with material, social and educational advantages, opportunities of spiritual growth and development; and also that the man or woman, young or old, who casts his lot with us will receive the right hand of fellowship, encouragement and support in the service of the Master.
THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
The pastor of the Atkinson Memorial Presbyterian Church is Dr. ISAAC CAMPBELL, born in Peterboro, Canada, of Scotish-Irish parentage. His father, JOHN CAMPBELL was born in Scotland, removed to Ireland where he married, and later came to Canada. He was a sturdy Scotchman, a man of learning, well versed in theology and literature and a Presbyterian elder.
Dr. ISAAC CAMPBELL was trained in the public and high schools of Peterboro, graduating with honors. He then taught school and later entered Toronto University, from which institution he graduated with the degree of M. A. He then entered Knox Theological College, where by his superior work and ability, in two successive years in this course, he won the Prince of Wales Prize, given for proficiency in scholarship.
After his graduation he was ordained a minister in the Presbyterian church, and settled in the town of Listowe, Canada. While serving a large congregation at this place, he took up a post-graduate course of two years in the University of Chicago, and received the degree of Ph. D., from that institution. It was while serving this congregation, and largely through the efforts of Dr. CAMPBELL, that the large and beautiful brick church was built in this town, which stands as a monument to the sacrifices and devotion of Dr. CAMPBELL and the people under his charge to the cause of the gospel.
Later, Dr. CAMPBELL received a call to Erskine Church, in Ottawa, the capital of Canada, which church he served as pastor nine years. While serving this church, he was largely instrumental in raising this church, numerically, to the strongest in the city.
Dr. CAMPBELL served Ottawa Presbytery many years as stated clerk. It was during the pastorate of this church that the disastrous fire of 1900 swept the city of Ottawa, and seventy-five per cont. of the congregation was rendered homeless, Dr. CAMPBELL losing heavily in his extensive library and other property. Later, he accepted a call to a church in a beautiful town on Lake Huron, on the Canada side, where he remained till coming to Kinston, N. C.
While Dr. CAMPBELL had frequently visited the States, he had never been in the South. Accepting the invitation of his old friend and fellow laborer, Dr. F. W. FARRIES, of Goldsboro, N. C., he was induced to visit Kinston, preaching to this people in April 1905. They became mutually attached which resulted in a call from the Atkinson Memorial Presbyterian church, Kinston. He accepted and came here in June, 1905. Since his arrival in Kinston, Dr. CAMPBELL has been the recipient of distinguished honors conferred by his Church. At the meeting of Albemarle Presbytery, held in Greenville, N. C., last April, he was chosen moderator of that body, which duty he performed with signal ability and dignity to the great pleasure of his friends and associates.
The members of the session are: H. E. SHAW, O. T. BONEY, and M. W. WOOTEN. The deacons are: J. R. BALL, T. R. LEE, and O. T. BONEY. The superintendent of the Sunday-school is O. T. BONEY. In connection with the work of the church are a Ladies' Aid Society and a Missionary Society, both of which are fully alive to the work in hand.
About nine years ago the subject of Christian Science began to be studied in this community and in 1902 the First Church of Christ, Scientists, of Kinston, N. C., was organized according to our State laws. This church as all Christian Science Churches, is governed by its own by-laws. Services are now held in the Christian Science reading room in the Whitaker building, both morning and evenings, on Sundays, and testimonial meetings on Wednesday evenings. In the public library are to be found Science and Health, and monthly and weekly periodicals.
The rector of St. Mary's Episcopal Church is Rev. JOHN H. GRIFFITH, Jr., born July 2, 1871, in Norfolk, Va. His parents removed to Richmond, Va., in 1876, and he spent his early years in the schools of that city. Later he entered Washington and Lee University, from which institution he graduated in June 1891. During the following fall he entered the Theological Seminary of Virginia, graduating in June 1895.
In the fall of 1895 Mr. GRIFFITH accepted the charge of St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, Charlotte, N. C., and St. Mark's Mecklenburg county, with several mission points thereabouts. December 1, 1896, he was offered the rectorship of Trinity Church, Statesville, N. C., and Ascension Church, Hickory, N. C., which he accepted and where he labored successfully until he was called to Kinston last November.
While at Stateville Mr. GRIFFITH was advanced to the priesthood of his Church, having previously been ordained deacon in Raleigh.
Mr. GRIFFITH has been rector of St. Mary's Church since December 1898, the longest rectorate, save one, in the history of the parish. As rector of the parish he has made a marked success, having been the means of bringing into his work several thousand dollars from his friends in the North.
Since his coming to Kinston, he has built four Churches and one large parish school house, all at the cost of $13,000.
Connected with the parish are several societies which are doing good work for their cause. They are the Parish Guild, Woman's Auxiliary, Daughters of the King, Brotherhood of the St. Andrew, Junior Brotherhood of St. Andrew, and St. Alban's Guild.
The Wardens of the parish are S. H. ABBOTT, Sr. W., J. P. HASKETT, Jr. W. The Vestrymen are E. B. MARSTON, secretary, W. T. HINES, treasurer; J. L. ALBERTSON, D. F. WOOTEN and G. V. COOPER.
The rector has contributed to this issue the following short historical sketch:
The beginning of this parish antedates the act incorporating the town of "Kinston" by George III (November 1762). The said George authorized "FRANCIS MCLEWEAN, RICHARD CASWELL, SIMON BRIGHT Jr., JOHN SHINE, and DAVID GORDON as trustees to lay off the town, and to reserve one acre and a half of the said land, whereon the Chapel and public, (warehouse) now stand for their respective uses."
From that date to 1832 our Church history blends with that of Christ Church, New Bern, since the parish at New Bern was self-supporting, while this was only a mission.
In 1832 St. Mary's Mission was organized into a parish, and papers to that effect and a copy of the original deed, are still extant. The first vestrymen mentioned were Dr. EDWARD C. BELLAMY, WM. LOVICK, JNO. C. WASHINGTON, Dr. REUBEN KNOX, GEORGE WHITFIELD, and LEWIS C. DESMOND.
On account of the liberality of citizens, not members of the Episcopal Church, St. Mary's vestry authorized "the opening of the Church to all orthodox ministers of respectable standing in their Churches." So for some years, in fact until November 1856, the only public place of Christian worship was in St. Mary's. (The Methodist and Baptist congregations worshipped with regularity for years in the first Church).
The Rev. FREDERICK FITZGERALD, who was rector from 1855 to 1857 found upon his assuming charge, the "Church edifice greatly out of repair from the effects of time, neglect and hard usage from meetings for political and other purposes apart from religion." So in 1858 $2,000 were expended in remodeling the Church, while on March 3rd, 1860, the rt. Rev. THOMAS ATKINSON, the beloved bishop of North Carolina, consecrated the building, which then stood on the S. E. corner of Queen and Caswell streets, opposite Tull Hotel.
On October 15th, 1873, the beautiful little Church caught fire from an adjoining building and was reduced to ashes.
From the sale of the site, the proceeds bought the incomplete Presbyterian church where St. Mary's now stands, and after completing same St. Mary's congregation worshipped in it until it was destroyed by fire February, 1900.
The present handsome brick building was begun in the spring of 1902, and when completed will be one of the handsomest edifices in the South. Already the interior surroundings are most ecclesiastical and conducive and restful to the spiritual development of the worshipper.
The pastor of the Missionary Baptist Church is Rev. C. G. WELLS, a native of Duplin County, this State. He was reared and educated on a farm. When ready to go to college he was sent to Wake Forest, from which institution he received his A. B. and A. M. degrees.
For a short time Mr. WELLS studied law, and later he entered the ministry. He studied theology at the Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville, Ky., and as a still further preparation for his life work, he took the course in English Language and literature at the University of Chicago.
Mr. WELLS is still a young man. He has during his ministry served pastorates in Spencer, Statesville and his present Kinston charge.
The Board of Directors of the Baptist Church consists of J. A. MCDANIEL, chairman, Dr. R. H. LEWIS, secretary, E. FRANK COX, CARL PRIDGEN, Dr. R. G. COBB and J. J. ROGERS. The trustees are J. A. MCDANIEL, J. A. PRIDGEN, W. H. O'BERRY, Dr. JOHN A. POLLOCK, and W. O. WOOTEN. The Sunday School superintendent is L. R. VARSER and HERMAN SUTTON is secretary.
With the Church are connected a Woman's Missionary society and a Ladies Aid society.
Rev. PRESTON BELL HALL is pastor of the Christian Church. He is a native of Virginia, born in Tazewell, a beautiful spot in the rich Appalachian section. He began life on a farm and in his seventeenth year entered the Tazewell High School. After his high school course he clerked in a store, which he left to take up the work of the ministry. After having been associated with an evangelist in the ministerial work for one summer, Mr. HALL entered Milligan College, Tennessee, from which institution he received his A. B. degree in 1885.
After a number of years of practical work and study he also received from this college the degree of A. M.
Mr. HALL's first call to a pastorate was in Page county, Virginia, having his residence in Luray, a town celebrated for its famous cavern. From here he went to Washington, D. C., where he opened a mission in North East Washington. This work has now grown into a Church of over one thousand members. He gave up the Washington work to go as a missionary to Japan. But on account of a break down in health caused by climatic conditions he had to return to America at the end of one year. This has always been a source of grief to him, as the work of a missionary has for him special attractions.
Since returning from Japan, Mr. HALL has filled pulpits in Virginia, Kentucky, California, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, and Florida. He came to Kinston from Tampa, Florida. He is now at the middle of his fourth year as pastor of the Kinston Christian Church, and is doing excellent work in this capacity.
The Board of Directors of the Christian Church consists of A. J. LOFTIN, chairman, N. D. MYERS, N. J. ROUSE, E. M. HODGES, H. E. MOSELEY, J. F. TAYLOR, Dr. H. D. HARPER, Sr., JULIUS BELL, R. L. CRISP, K. R. TUNSTALL, J. M. QUINN and L. O. MOSELEY, secretary.
The superintendent of the Sunday school is the pastor, Rev. P. B. HALL, the first assistant is N. J. ROUSE, and the second assistant is E. G. BARRETT. The secretary is L. O. MOSELEY, who is assisted by J. M. QUINN and Sidney ANDREWS.
The Auxiliary societies of the Church are the Christian Women's Board of Missions, the Christian Endeavor Society, the Little Builders, and the Ladies Aid Society.
M. E. CHURCH SOUTH
The pastor of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, is Rev. J. D. BUNDY, born in Marlboro County, South Carolina. He later removed with his parents to Laurenburg, N. C., which place became his home from early childhood to the beginning of his career as a minister.
After graduating at Trinity college, Mr. BUNDY taught school three years, then was editor of The Laurenburg Exchange for several years, and at the same time superintendent of the public instruction of Richmond County, N. C. In November 1891 he was admitted on trial into the traveling connection of the North Carolina Conference at Greenville, N. C.
Since that time Mr. BUNDY has held the following appointments: Cumberland circuit, Lumberton circuit, Weldon station, Henderson station, the presiding eldership of Washington district, and Kinston station.
Mr. BUNDY is now serving his first year at Kinston. He is a young man, well-equipped and is regarded as one of the strongest of the Methodist ministers of the State.
The stewards of the Methodist Church are J. W. GRAINGER, L. HARVEY, J. W. COLLINS, H. W. MCKINNIE, J. J. BIZZELL, G. P. FLEMMING, N. B. MOORE, Dr. F. A. WHITAKER, Y. T. ORMOND, C. M. JORDAN, L. P. TAPP, J. W. GOODSON, H. T. OGLESBY and L. M. BROWNIE.
The Superintendent of the Sunday-school is Y. T. ORMOND. The secretary and treasurer is N. B. MOORE, and the librarian is E. Y. SPEED. The superintendent of the East Kinston Chapel Sunday School is A. F. PITTMAN. The secretary and librarian is J. C. HAY, and Miss TIFFANY WEST is treasurer.
Connected with the Church organization and doing a part of the Church work are the Woman's Foreign Missionary Society and the Bright Jewels.
FREE WILL BAPTISTS
The Free Will Baptists hold regular services on the fourth Sunday morning and evening, conducted by Rev. R. F. PITTMAN. Services are also held each Sunday night. The pastor is Elder HENRY CUNNINGHAM.
The Universalists have no regular place of meeting in the city, but at frequent intervals services are held.
LODGES AND CLUBS
The lodges are represented in Kinston as follows:
A. F. and A. M., - St. John's Lodge, No. 96.