Contributed by Elizabeth Roebuck|
TEMPLE - MARSTON DRUG STORE
This Progressive and enterprising firm has conducted a growing business in Kinston since 1899. In January 1888, the business was established by Dr. R.H. TEMPLE. It was conducted as his private business a few months and in March 1889, he formed a partnership with Mr. E.B. MARSTON, of Saluda, VA. The partnership existed for a short time when Mr. MARSTON bought Dr. TEMPLE's interest and became sole owner. But the former firm name is still used to designate the business and Dr. TEMPLE, who is a graduate pharmacist and doctor of medicine, is employed in the prescription department, where he has served his large circle of friends for so many years.
Mr. E.B. MARSTON is a native of Saluda, Va., born May 30, 1866. For ten years he successfully conducted a general mercantile and drug business in his native town, employing a licensed pharmacist in the drug department. Having come to Kinston, Mr. MARSTON is now closely identified with the interests of the city and Lenoir County. He is wide-awake, progressive, genial, whole-souled and takes a pride in keeping his business up-to-date in all respects. He does both a wholesale and a retail business. Within the last twelve months he has enlarged and beautified his store throughout. The electrical effect at night produced by three large dome lights in the center with small lights surrounding the cone, is very attractive. The furnishings are white enameled and mahogany, and the ceiling is of embossed steel.
The TEMPLE-MARSTON store does a flourishing business in drugs, patent medicines, and fancy show case goods, such as society and business stationery, purses, pocket books, combs and brushes, tooth brushes, toilet articles, fine candies etc. In the store may be found a fine line of imported china, and the proprietor is manufacturer's agent at Kinston for a line of high-class cut glass ware, also blank books and ledgers. Here may be found, too, a variety of choice garden and field seed.
One of the finest Onyx soda fountains south of Philadelphia, is to be found at TEMPLE-MARSTON's. Cold drinks, made from high priced materials, are sold in a variety of delicious flavors. These are served in clean and highly polished glasses, which add relish and satisfaction.
In charge of the soda fountain and the efficient assistant manager of the business is Mr. HUGH JORDAN, who has been an employee for seven years. Mr. JORDAN is a young man of high moral character, polite and courteous to all, a past noble grand of the Odd Fellows, an Elk, and a member of the Methodist Church of the city.
The growth of the business recently made it necessary for Mr. MARSTON to add to his employees. Thus he has employed in his prescription department, Mr. A.J. ASHFORD, a well equipped registered druggist of nearly thirteen years experience. Mr. ASHFORD is deservedly popular in the city and surrounding section, enjoying the fullest confidence and highest esteem of all who know him. He was with Mr. HENRY DUNN for more than seven years, after which he was engaged with J.E. HOOD & Co. for four years and for the past twelve months was manager of QUINERLY's drug store. No young man in the city is more deserving of trust and confidence of the public and his new employer is fortunate in securing his services.
ROBERT BRUCE McDANIEL MEMORIAL HOSPITAL
This new institution is a product of the generous hearts of two people of Kinston, coupled with public necessity and public spirit; and it will honor the spirit which prompted the gift and the business foresight which planned its beginning.
In October of 1905, Mr. JAMES A. McDANIEL and Mrs. McDANIEL sold to Dr. JAMES M. PARROT and Dr. THOMAS W. PARROTT, at a low price their residence at the eastern extremity of Gordon street, one of the finest homes in the city, with the surrounding lawn and park, for hospital purposes with the condition that a certain portion of it be at the disposal of any reputable white physician of this section for the treatment of charity cases to the extent of not more than ten white and two colored patients at one time. It was stipulated that this department was to be conducted under the supervision of a board of managers. Thus placing this great charity within the scope of our city benevolence.
This magnificent gift by Mr. and Mrs. McDANIEL to the poor of our town and community is highly appreciated. Nothing in the history of our section has so touched the hearts of our people. Mr. McDANIEL is one of our most prominent business men and church leaders. Mrs. McDANIEL is a lady of extraordinary intellect and force of character. She is a member of one of the oldest and most influential families in our section of the State. This noble gift to the public for the poor will long live a splendid memorial to her generosity.
With this provision the hospital was founded; and the Doctors PARROTT accepted the trust and immediately began the enlargement and erection of additional buildings necessary for the equipment of a modern hospital with accommodations for thirty-five patients. The spacious buildings and grounds shown in the cuts above are the result.
The charity annex is run in the interest of no person or persons save the indigent and unfortunate. It is under the control of the following board of lady managers:
Mrs. ABE OETTINGER, President; Mrs. A. MITCHELL, Vice-president; Mrs. J.H. PARHAM, Secretary; Mrs. T.C. WOOTEN, treasurer.
Executive Committee: Mrs. C. FELIX HARVERY, chairman; Mrs. N.J. ROUSE, Mrs. MARY JACKSON, Mrs. J.J. ROGERS, Mrs. E.B. MARSTON.
Supervisory and admittance committee: Mrs. N.J. ROUSE.
Visiting committee: Mrs. SUSAN BEST, chairman; Mrs. E.B. LEWIS, Mrs. W.T. HINES, Mrs. C.W. PRIDGEN, Mrs. L.P. TAPP.
Finance and Auditing Committee: Mrs. S.C. PARROT, Mrs. SUSAN BEST, Miss TIFFANY WEST.
Members of the Board: Mrs. SUSAN BEST, Mrs. N.J. ROUSE, Mrs. C. FELIX HARVEY, Mrs. A. OETTINGER, Mrs. T.C. WOOTEN, Mrs. S.C. PARROTT, Mrs. E.B. MARSON, Mrs. MARY JACKSON, Miss TIFFANY WEST, Mrs. W.T. HINES, Mrs. E.B. LEWIS, Mrs. J.H. PARHAM, Mrs. LOVIT HINES, Mrs. L.P. TAPP. Mrs. J.J. ROGERS, and Mrs. C.W. PRIDGEN.
A full corps of trained nurses has been engaged, and a training school for nurses will be conducted in connection with the hospital work. The long veranda, sun parlors, specious reception rooms and sanitary sleeping quarters will give to the pupil nurses as comfortable a home as can be found in any hospital. The rooms are all hearted by hot water with open fireplaces wherever practicable. Telephone service is installed with direct long distance connections. There are special rooms for maternity cases, special wards for children, separate operating rooms for clean and dirty cases. The chief operating room for resident cases is lighted by ample skylights and windows. It is especially fixed for the examination of blood, sputum, pus, urine, pathological tissue, and all excretions necessary to diagnosis.
In this division, in which most of the recent discoveries of science have taken place, are found static machines, Galvanic and Faradic apparatus, electric vibrators, (massage), electric currents, for the treatment and cautery of disease, electrolytic outfits, electric light and electric water bath cabinets, Ruhmkorff coil for X-rays and X-ray photography; hot and cold baths throughout.
This department has the hot air cabinets, Nanheim baths, needle and shower baths, massage, and all the apparatus necessary to modern hydrotherapeutic treatment.
In addition to these departments for special treatment, the hospital makes every preparation for general treatment. Various apparatus for light gymnastics with dumb-bells, rowing machines, indian clubs and other health building appliances, and in every department will be found special expert attendants.
All routine treatments have been dispensed with, and after expert examination, each case will be treated according to its special needs. The rest cure of certain diseases is emphasized, drives, horse back riding &c., through the valleys and hills near the hospital will be advised when thought best.
To make the treatment of each case more complete, diet kitchens have been inaugurated under charge of a specialist and the cuisine of the institution will equal any in the South.
On the East, South, and West side of the main building are the sun parlors and broad open-air verandas, spacious comfortable, bright, with reclining chairs, couches and chairs sufficient for every need. These open into the reception rooms where visitors and friends are entertained, and the libraries are situated. Newspapers and periodicals of all kinds will be supplied generously, yet conservatively.
This department is in charge of an expert, who gives special attention to treatment of all classes of deformities and the institution is prepared to make or order at short notice all the appliances needed for each particular case. Directions for measurements will be furnished on application. Address the Superintendent for prices &c.
Babies wards have been especially prepared, with specially constructed beds and chairs, for the treatment of children's diseases. The toys and playthings provided give the ward as much the appearance of a crèche as in consistent with the proper treatment of the little patients.
No expense has been spared in the arrangements for the proper care of convalescents. The long open and glass-enclosed sun parlors and verandas, indoor shrubbery and a well- appointed green-house help to put the invalid in a cheerful frame of mind. Rolling chairs and couches are provided in plenty, and the constant service of attendants will make it pleasant for all. Especial attention is directed to the class of cases. The beautiful public McDANIEL memorial park with its well-appointed grounds walks and fountains lies immediately in front of the hospital, and is utilized by the hospital.
This department has received the same attention to detail that is evident in all the other departments. Portable bathtubs, of newest pattern, ice packs, rubber coils and the other requirements for general treatment are generously provided.
Those suffering from nervous diseases will find the equipment and location exactly suited to their needs. Indeed no section of the South is better suited either climatically or naturally for the treatment of these diseases. In the midst of the great pine belt of North Carolina where the atmosphere is laden with the aromatic odor of the pine, close enough to the Atlantic Ocean to get the invigorating influences of the sea breezes, and far enough away to escape their dampness, there can be no better natural conditions for this class of sufferers. The fruits of the tropics and the plants of the semi-tropical regions live and thrive here. Any vegetable of the South is grown here for the market and all these will be provided for patients as may be required.
Drug habitués are treated, but in such cases the next of kin must agree in writing, before the patient is admitted, to submit to all treatment etc., as prescribed.
Every appliance known to be of assistance to modern surgery will be provided. Special wards are provided for maternity cases and the diseases of women. The diseases of eye, ear, nose and throat have received particular attention in the provision for departmental work. Specially tinted walls have been provided in rooms for treatment of eye cases. Every needed appliance for ear, nose and throat has been secured: nebulizers, atomizers, electric lights for diagnosis and treatment. Solariums are installed together with appliances for simisoidal electric treatment.
For general treatment scientific hygiene and the Swedish movement will be used when deemed beneficial, and will be administered by an expert operator.
The ROBERT BRUCE McDANIEL Memorial, is not only a hospital, but is a sanitarium for the treatment of every class of disease except the violet insane and diseases of a contagious nature. Such cases will be refused admittance.
Situated as this institution is in a modern, growing city, away from the noise of its business life, surrounded by a beautiful park, and with miles of beautiful driveways on every hand, there is in the whole South no place better fitted for its purpose. Regulations and terms will be supplied by the management of the hospital on request.
The cuts of BOND's market herewith presented will show an up-to-date market located on the corner of Queen and North Streets, Kinston. The proprietor, WILLIAM R. BOND, SR., entered the market business in August 1878, and his business has grown with the town. He makes a point of adopting the latest equipment obtainable and keeps fresh meats of all kinds, including western beef.
With Mr. BOND are associated his three sons, CLARENCE, aged 23, PAUL aged 20, and W.R. BOND, Jr., aged 16. CLARENCE manages a branch market, located in another part of the city. PAUL is an expert cutter, and W.R. BOND, Jr. is butcher for the firm of W.R. BOND and sons. He weights only 80 pounds, and for three years has been doing excellent work as butcher.
Mr. BOND married Miss WHARTON of Pamlico County, who died in 1893. Besides three sons she left one daughter, Miss RUTH, now 18 years of age. Mr. BOND is a member of the Methodist Church, the Junior Order, the Royal Arcanum, the American Guild and is First Lieutenant of the Kinston Rifles.
MISS MEACHAM & CO.
This enterprising firm of Milliners is composed of Misses STELLA MEACHAM and ADDIE JOHNSON. They carry a full line of millinery goods, notions and novelties, and are in a position to satisfy the demands of the public along these lines. They keep in close touch with the most approved and up-to-date fashions and styles, making frequent visits to northern markets for that purpose. Miss KATHLEEN KILPATRICK is their accomplished milliner; and they are always ready to serve the public at their neat sore, Queen Street.
RANDOLPH CARRIAGE WORKS
C.T. RANDOLPH is one of the most prosperous business men of Kinston. He was born in Washington, NC, September 5, 1856. When he was 11 years of age, he began a nine-years apprenticeship at carriage painting, with FULFORD and LONG, of Washington, N.C. He served without pay. When he reached the age of 18 he was placed in full control of the painting department; and for the last two years of his apprenticeship, his employers in recognition of his valuable services, voluntarily gave him $300 a year.
Since serving his apprenticeship, he has never engaged in any other business that the manufacture of carriages, buggies, phaetons, etc. For five years he was in business for himself in Washington; then for three years he carried on the business in New Bern; and in 1890, he came to Kinston where he established a small factory on North Street in the GRAINGER brick building, near Queen Street. But after a few years he found his quarters too small, and in 1897 he erected a two story brick building on Queen Street, between North and Blount. Here he has conducted a flourishing business, using the upstairs for his carriage works and the lower floor for a showroom, where are exhibited a full line of the best handmade harness, fine buggy robes, horse blankets, whips etc., besides nice carriages and buggies of his make.
In 1905 Mr. RANDOLPH erected another handsome two story brick building adjoining his factory on Queen Street. This is now being completed and will afford floor space for him to double his plant which is now taxed to its uttermost to supply the demands made upon it. The factory is well equipped to do excellent work. For the past three months, it has averaged an output of 178 buggies each month.
The RANDOLPH buggy is steadily growing in favor and is being sold in South Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, and Florida, besides his home State.
In September, 1886, Mr. RANDOLPH married Miss ADDIE WATERS, of Pantego.
One of the best known men in Kinston is J.B. CUMMINGS, self-made man, merchant, and real estate owner. He was born in Kinston on December 11, 1861. His parents were of Scotch- Irish extraction and that accounts for perseverance and determination of the subject of this sketch. His father was JAMES B. and his mother MATILDA CUMMINGS. Young CUMMINGS went to private schools in Kinston until he was 14 years of age at which time he found it necessary to stop and go to work. Out of his own earnings he paid his tuition the last session he was in school. After this he farmed for two years doing any and all work that came to hand. He was then employed for a few months in the mercantile business by CORNELIUS HARPER. HARPER sold out to CHAUNCEY GRAY, and Mr. CUMMINGS continued with the business, commencing with his new employer for $5.00 a month and board. Here he was employed for 9 ½ years, when he was made a partner. The business was conducted as a partnership for four years, when a dissolution took place by mutual consent. The business was then conducted on the old Peebles corner, now the site of the Neuse Hotel, which is owned by Mr. CUMMINGS.
Mr. CUMMINGS now conducts a fine mercantile business at his store on Queen Street, where he has been for 21 years. During this whole time he has only employed three clerks, of whom J.W. RUSS is now with him. Mr. CUMMINGS is one of the best known merchants in Kinston and does as large a business as any.
On January 14, 1885, Mr. CUMMINGS married Miss FLETA COX, daughter of Mr. J.G. COX of Kinston. She died in May 1896, leaving five children as follows: HERBERT W., Mrs. ERMA V. TUNSTALL, CHAS. GEHRMAN, ESSIE B. AND OLIVE BRANCH. After his first wife's death, he married Miss MARY J. BRYAN, daughter of Mr. J.J. BRYAN, of Institute. Their children are J.B. and HENRY BRYAN CUMMINGS.
Mr. CUMMINGS has been Alderman two times; was elected magistrate; is a member of the Methodist Church, St. Johns A.F. and A.M. and Caswell Chapter, R.A.M., the Royal Arcanum, Woodmen of the World, the Mystic Circle, and the Knights of Harmony.
EDWARD ORR MOORE
One of the leading plumbers of Kinston is E.O. MOORE, born in Tarboro, NC, October 1866. He learned the tin trade in Tarboro, where he went to work at the age of 16. In 1892 he came to Kinston and went to work in the tin business for C.W. CRABTREE, where he was employed as foreman. In 1896 he went to South Carolina, where he remained until 1901, when he came back to Kinston and bought the business of STICKLIN and HAYWOOD, tinners and plumbers. He followed this business until the new water works system was installed in Kinston, when he quit tinning and went into plumbing and steam fitting business exclusively.
Mr. MOORE employs a competent plumber and steam fitter and is prepared to do all kinds of work that come under either of these headings. He carries a full line of stoves, plumbers supplies, etc.
In 1896, Mr. MOORE married Miss ELIZABETH PARROTT, of this county, and three children, two girls and a boy compose the family. He is a member of the Baptist church, president of the Barracca class, and is a member of the Knights of Pythias and at present is Chancellor Commander of Kinston Lodge No. 66.
Col. W.H. RHODES
Col. W.H. RHODES, Supt. of the Rhodes Military Institute, was born in Jones County, N.C. February 27, 1858, and reared on the farm till he was nineteen years of age. Then he attended Richards Academy, where he was prepared for college. His college and university education was received at Trinity college, N.C., the University of North Carolina, the University of Texas and the University of California.
For three years he taught in the public schools of North Carolina. During the last twenty-two years he has been engaged in the high school work, having taught at Polloksville, Cypress Creek, Jones County, Richlands and Trenton, N.C. He was principal of Trenton High School for twelve years.
In 1902 the RHODES Military Institute, near Kinston, was organized and has been in successful operation ever since. The aim and object of the Supt. in projecting this school is that he might have a broader field and a better opportunity to teach young people higher and better ideals of life and thus help give to the State a citizenship with right conceptions of their civil and religious duties. Such a school ought to receive the hearty cooperation and support of all our citizens.
Major R.F. McCRACKAN
MAJOR R.F. McCRACKAN is a young man who has chosen teaching as a life work. He made an excellent record at the South Carolina Military Academy, from which he graduated with honor. The following information complimentary to him is taken from the annual of that institution. "He was voted successively the most studious, most determined, and most industrious cadet in school." He was president of the cadet Y.M.C.A., teacher of Bible class, President of Polytechnic Literary Society, class historian, and salutatorian. The official register of the institution further shows that he is a star graduate with the Bachelor of Science degree; that he led his class in his senior year; and that he always ranked first in his class in conduct.
After graduation he taught two years in Leesville, S.C. The following is from a testimonial from the president of that institution. "He has in every way fully met the high expectations raised by the excellent testimonials he brought us. His success here gives promise of wide usefulness in larger fields and it is a pleasure to commend him as a young man possessing the high qualities of character sure to win success."
GILBERT WHITE GARNER
Professor GILBERT WHITE GARNER was born near Manassas, Virginia, January 12, 1880. He spent his early boyhood on the farm and attended the public schools. He received his academic education at Shenandoah Normal College, Reliance, Virginia, and Hampden- Sydney College and commenced teaching at the age of eighteen.
He has had charge of the commercial departments of Fayetteville Academy, West Virginia; Pike College, Bowling Green, Missouri, and RHODES Military Institute, Kinston, N.C.
Prof. Jones, President of Pike College writes as follows: "Prof. G.W. GARNER has charge of the commercial and shorthand departments of Pike College, Bowling Green, Mo., during my incumbency as President. He gave excellent satisfaction and proved himself a capable instructor; tactful in discipline, enthusiastic in work, exemplary in conduct and loyal to the Institution."
ROUNTREE & LaROQUE
ROUNTREE and LaROQUE write insurance on anything and represent nineteen fire insurance companies, one life company, one casualty company, and one surety company.
This business was established by Mr. S.H. ROUNTREE, JR., in 1894, and until 1903 it was owned and conducted by him. In that year he was succeeded by his son, Mr. EUGENE C. ROUNTREE, who in 1904 consolidated his agency with that of Mr. W.D. LaROQUE, JR., who had purchased the agency of Mr. SAMUEL ABBOTT.
By devoting their entire time and personal attention to the insurance business alone, the firm of ROUNTREE and LaROQUE has established itself firmly in the business world of Kinston and surrounding towns, and is now recognized as one of the largest and strongest insurance agencies in Eastern Carolina.
Among the nineteen fire insurance companies represented by them are found the oldest and strongest in the world and include the three principal North Carolina companies-- "N.C. Home of Raleigh, "Underwriters", of Greensboro and the "Pamilico", of Tarboro. These with the "Pacific Mutual Life", the "Fidelity & Casualty", of New York, accident, and the "American Surety," of New York, surety, make it possible for this firm to insure any kind of risk known to the business world.
Their office is situated on Gordon Street, three doors West of Queen, next to the "Free Press" office, right in the business center of the city.
Both these young men are well known throughout the surrounding country and they are rapidly increasing their business in the neighboring towns.
EUGENE C. ROUNTREE
EUGENE C. ROUNTREE was born in Wilson County in 1875, and with his parents came to Kinston to live when a small boy. He was educated in the local schools and at Trinity College. In 1899 he began business in Wilson, but in 1903, came back to Kinston and succeeded his father in the insurance business.
In 1904, the present partnership with Mr. LaROQUE was formed.
Mr. ROUNTREE is an enthusiastic Pythian, a member of the Industrial Club of Kinston and is local secretary of the South Eastern Tariff Association.
WATER D. LaROQUE, JR.
WATER D. LaROQUE, JR., was born in Lenoir county in 1878, and has lived here all of his life. He was educated in the local schools and at A. & M. College.
In 1898, he took a position with HINES Bros. Lumber Company, where he remained till the year 1901, when he resigned his position with the above company to become clerk of the City of Kinston, having been elected by the Board of Aldermen to fill that place, he being the first to occupy it.
This position he soon resigned to go back with HINES Bros., at a better salary. In the fall of 1901, he entered the grocery business with Mr. A.E. ROUNTREE and later bought Mr. ROUNTREE's interest and for three years conducted one of the leading grocery stores in Kinston. In the fall of 1904, the present partnership with Mr. E.C. ROUNTREE was formed, he having sold his grocery business to Messrs. KOONCE & HARPER.
Mr. LaROQUE was married in 1903 to Miss MAMIE HINES, of this city, and they reside on Caswell Street, in their new home, which is one of the handsomest in Eastern Carolina.
Mr. LaROQUE has served with credit on the Board of Aldermen, is a member of Kinston Lodge, I. O. O. F., and is a member of the Board of Governors of the Industrial Club of Kinston.
THE OWL DRUG STORE
The proprietor of the Owl Drug Store is Mr. WILL HUNTER, JR. He is one of the younger of Kinston's business men, having been born August 25, 1880. His father, Mr. WILLIAM HUNTER, was for seven years proprietor of the Hotel Kenon at Goldsboro.
When young HUNTER was only seven years of age, his parents removed to Texas. Coming back to North Carolina, he entered the State University but did not remain until graduation. After leaving school, he went to Kansas City, where he conducted a drug store for four years. In June 1893, he came to Kinston and opened the Owl Drug Store, which is one of the leading drug stores of the city. He has remodeled the store and furnished it with all modern appointments. He carries a line of choice goods and medicines similar to that found in any up-to-date drug store. His handsome soda fountain is especially attractive and provides the public with favorite drinks at all seasons.
On December 30, 1905, Mr. HUNTER married Miss HELEN CARPENTER, of Jersey City. The ceremony was performed in the romantic "Little Church Around the Corner," where so many New York brides plight their troth.
C. BAILEY'S JEWELRY STORE
CLEM BAILEY was born October 25, 1845. His boyhood days were spent upon the farm up to the time he was fourteen years of age, when he went to Newbern.
He learned his trade under HENRY STROMER, who was at that time considered one of the best in his line. Mr. BAILEY remained with him five years.
In the Spring of 1868, Mr. BAILEY came to Kinston on the death of the jeweler here, named MAGNUS, bought out his stock, tools and fixtures and opened for himself. He has been doing business in Kinston ever since, with the exception of a few months in 1896, which were spent in Texas. Mr. BAILEY is a skilled, practical watch maker and jeweler, does work to the complete satisfaction of his customers and adds to the satisfaction which his work guarantees by his politeness and attention to each individual piece of work. Mr. BAILEY has kept abreast of the times and now has as up-to-date a jewelry store as can be found in Carolina. He carries in stock all the season's latest styles and novelties, and is always prepared to show his customers the "Newest thing out" in the jewelry line. Mr. BAILEY is efficiently assisted by his two sons; Mr. ROSS BAILEY is a competent hand engraver, while Mr. JOHN BAILEY acts in the capacity of buyer and salesman.
Mr. BAILEY is an inventor of some genius having several valuable patents. He is a Mason of prominence, and has held the office of treasurer of the Caswell Royal Arch Chapter of Masons for twelve or fifteen years.
THE KINSTON LIBRARY
The Kinston Library contains about 2,500 volumes, embracing works on history, biography, poetry, the old standard works of fiction, together with many of the best selling volumes of fiction published within the last ten years. It contains also a complete set of Encyclopedia Britannica, Shakespeare, with Hawthorne's Literature of all Nations, Myths and Legends of Our Own Land, North Carolina State Records and North Carolina Regimental Histories, by Judge WALTER CLARK Colonial Records of North Carolina by SAUNDERS, etc. etc.
The children of the town have access to these books and find them valuable helps. The library is incorporated, but not endowed. It is maintained by the $1.50 yearly subscriptions of its patrons, supplemented by the efforts of the ladies of the Kinston Library Association.
KINSTON COIN AND BOOK EXCHANGE, INC.
Until within a few years ago, the city of Kinston could not boast of having, among its citizens, a majority of those who might have been called reading people. It was not until 1880 that even a newspaper attracted the attention of a sufficient number of subscribers to give it more that a short lease of life. Our people, though strong partisans, did not care much about reading the details of even a hot campaign.
About twenty-eight years ago, there began to be quite an interest taken in periodical literature and the illustrated weekly newspapers, with a few subscribers to standard monthly magazines. The schools of our little city began to be known among the best in eastern North Carolina-and the number of pupils in attendance bore a large ratio to the population. The love a general reading being carefully cultivated by the teachers, and the pupils feeling the impulse (we might say almost unconsciously) began to look about for reading matter other than that contained in text books. And the parents, though not much fond of reading, yet being glad to encourage it among their children, became subscribers to several first-class periodicals, specially edited for young people.
And so the number of readers increased among the families of the parents and guardians of the school children. The number of newspapers coming to Kinston through the mails was so increased and pronounced that Mr. J.W. COLLINS, then postmaster spoke of it to the writer of this article as an encouraging sign. Then the political paper was eagerly read, almost to the exclusion of every other form of literary matter.
But still a very few of the best books of the day were seen in our homes. And while the old gentleman spent more time that ever before in his life poring over the political columns of his paper, the young son was deep in the blood-curdling adventures of a wild Indian tale as described in the ten-cent, yellow-back novel.
And so, gradually as the demand for reading matter increased, the supply, from any dealer in the town, was by no means sufficient. Several gentlemen tried to supply the strongly felt want of books by opening departments in their dry goods stores set apart for books. But, strange to say, they could make but little profit by this venture. They lacked either experience or the special native judgment necessary. So, like the first efforts at conducting newspapers, the enterprise failed. And I saw books burned, in the great fire of 1895, which had been on shelves, for sale, for nearly twenty years.
But at an opportune time, the man who was to succeed, emerged from his moldy little den, on the west side of South Queen Street and opened out with a brand-new stock of all classes of literature in the old store next door to the fire engine house.
Here, for the first time, did our people find a real bookstore. And here was seen, for the first time the firm name now so well and favorably known, "The Kinston Coin and Book Exchange."
When the fine HOOD Building was completed, the K.C. and B. Exchange blossomed out into the most handsome store of the kind in eastern North Carolina.
All classes of readers can find something to suit them on the shelves and tables filled with newspapers-daily, semi-weekly and weekly-and magazines of all grades from the four dollar Century and Harper to the one dollar McClure's, Cosmopolitan, Tom Watson's and others, under the direction, management and skilled experience of Mr. THOMAS SETTLE GRADY.
SUMRELL & McCOY
The Flourishing Wholesale Firm of SUMRELL & McCOY carries a complete line of Flour, Meat, Lard, Sugar, Coffee, Cereals, Canned goods, Tobacco, Snuff, Cigars, Baking Powders, Molasses, Vinegar and all other goods usual to a first class, up-to-date Wholesale Grocery Business.
They make a specialty of "ANN ARBOR PATENT FLOUR," which is made of the finest selected wheat grown, and guaranteed and admitted to be the best sold. Every bbl. is guaranteed to give perfect satisfaction. They buy in large quantities direct from manufacturers and are in a position to meet all competition and will take care of the retail trade.
They have recently installed a modern and up-to-date bottling plant for bottling soft drinks, making a specialty of PEPSI-COLA, which is a most healthful and delicious drink. They also bottle the famous "BUFFALO LICK GINGER ALE," which is carbonated with water direct from the "BUFFALO LICK SPRINGS; and is far superior to any other sold on the market. This "BUFFALO LICK WATER" is shipped to them in steel barrels, and thereby making a very healthful and pleasant drink.
They solicit the patronage of merchants only and all orders will have their prompt attention.
GEORGE W. SUMRELL
Mr. GEORGE W. SUMRELL was born in Lenoir County about ten miles North East of Kinston, N.C. In his early manhood he came to Kinston and engaged as a salesman. Later, in 1893 he formed a co-partnership with Mr. S.H. ABBOTT under the firm name of ABBOTT & SUMRELL, doing a general mercantile business, which partnership existed until the business was destroyed in the great fire of February, 1895. Mr. SUMRELL then went on the road as traveling salesman and continued in this occupation until Sep 1st, 1899, when he formed a co-partnership with Mr. H.H. McCOY in the wholesale grocery business.
HENRY HEBRON McCOY
Mr. HENRY HEBRON McCOY was born in Kinston, where he has lived all his life. At an early age he entered the office L. HARVEY & Son as book-keeper and Insurance clerk. He remained with this firm until Sept. 1st, 1899, when he formed a co-partnership with Mr. GEORGE W. SUMRELL in the wholesale grocery business. The firm is now doing a large business as will be seen more fully from the notice given above.