Contributed by Rose Parks|
JUDGE OLIVER H. ALLEN
Judge OLIVER H. ALLEN received his early education at the excellent schools in Kenansville and later graduated at Trinity College, in 1871.
He read Law first with his father, the late Col. WILLIAM A. ALLEN, and afterwards with WILIAM H. BATTLE and Son, of Raleigh.
After coming to the Bar he practised (sic) in co-partnership with his father for some years at Kenansville.
He was Solicitor of the Inferior Court of Duplin county and upon the increase of the Judicial Districts in 1885 he was appointed by Gov. SCALES, Solicitor of the sixth Judicial district, which position he filled successfully for two successive terms.
Having removed to Kinston where he now resides, upon the expiration of his services as Solicitor, he practised (sic) Law in co-operation with Mr. N. J. ROUSE until his appointment to the Judgeship to which office he was soon afterwards elected. He is now filling his first elective term which will expire in 1906.
Sometime after he had been in service the distinguished Dr. T. B. KINGSBURY wrote the following words concerning him: "Since Judge OLIVER H. ALLEN was appointed a Circuit Judge he has borne himself so admirably in his office of responsibility and power as to attract the attention and endorsement of the more intelligent people and the first men of the Bar for learning character and force.
Judge ALLEN is a christian gentleman in its proper sense. He is amiable, considerate, courteous, pure and upright."
We are sure of the correctness of this characterization. We write after a long intimate acquaintance with him. We knew his parents when young before their marriage. He comes of good, honest, worthy stock.
ANDREW J. LOFTIN
ANDREW J. LOFTIN was born in Lenoir county, on March 5, 1838.
He was educated in the neighborhood schools, in the Newbern Academy, and was prepared for the State University at Taylorsville, Alexander County but was prevented from completing his classical education by the outbreak of the war in which he was a volunteer.
When the war ended he studied law under Judge RICHMOND M. PEARSON, the Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, and was admitted to the bar in 1867. He located in Kinston and has been engaged in the practice of law in this city since. He was a solicitor of the inferior court of Lenoir County during it's whole existence and in 1893, was appointed United States Commissioner, and has held this position continuously to the present time, having recently been reappointed.
Mr. LOFTIN formed a co-partnership with Mr. GEORGE ROUNDTREE in 1885. In 1894 Mr. ROUNDTREE moved to Wilmington but they are still associated in the practice here.
He married Miss SARAH F. WILLIS, of Carteret county, June 1, 1863. She died on April 26, 1897, and he was again married December 1, 1898, to Mrs. MYRTLE N. SUTTON. They live at their comfortable home on Caswell Street.
He has been very successful as a teacher of the law, having numbered among his pupils M. A. GRAY and F. B. LOFTIN, both deceased, W. D. POLLOCK and many others, now successful lawyers. He is recognized as being the best teacher of law among the practitioners here, his knowledge of the common law law being profound.
The city Is indebted to him for several years service as alderman and three terms as mayor, in all of which public duties he showed the same fidelity to trust that has characterized his whole life.
EDWARD M. LAND
Mr. LAND was born in Edgecombe County N.C., August 26, 1878.
He attended the Littleton High School and was prepared for college, his family having moved to Littleton for the purpose of giving him this opportunity. When he finished his high school course he entered the State University in 1899 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts, cum laude.
The first year after leaving college Mr. LAND engaged in farming at his old home in Edgecombe. Soon afterwards though he began reading law in the office of and under the direction of Col. JOHN L. BRIDGERS of Tarboro. In the summer of 1901 he attended the summer law school at the University of North Carolina, and in the following fall received license to practice his chosen profession.
Early in 1902 Mr. LAND moved to Kinston and formed a partnership with a former school mate, G.V. COWPER, for the practice of law. Of this firm, Mr. LAND was the senior member. On February 27, 1906 the firm was dissolved, and Mr. LAND is now practicing alone.
In 1904 Mr. LAND was made secretary of the county Democratic executive committee, in which capacity he served his party faithfully and with signal success in the campaign of that year.
At the University Mr. LAND was of the Kappa Alpha Pi Sigma, (Freshman) Theta Nu Epsilon and Gorgon's head fraternities. Since coming to this city he had joined the Odd Fellows, the Elks, the Encampment I.O.O.F and the Industrial Club, of which he is treasurer.
He is unmarried and lives on McIlwaine Street with his sisters.
HENRY E. SHAW
Mr. SHAW was born in Bladen County, N.C. May 10, 1856. His father, the Rev. COLIN SHAW a venerable Presbyterian divine, and his mother, who was Miss PHOEBE W. BANNERMAN, are both direct descendants of the early Highland Scotch colonist. His father's mother was FANNIE FAISON of Duplin County. This Scotch Highland stock is the same from which the present English premier Sir HENRY BANNERMAN is descended.
Mr. SHAW received his early schooling at home from private teachers employed by his father, in the neighborhhd schools and later under the teaching of Prof. R.E. MILLER, of Duplin County, and the late SOLOMAN J. FAISON of Sampson County.
He read law privately, and in the spring of 1887 entered the law department of the University of North Carolina, and was admitted to the bar by the supreme court at the September term, 1888. He began the practice in Pender County, but moved to La Grange in 1889, where he continued to practice. He came to Kinston in January, 1896.
He was married to Miss VIRGINIA D., daughter of the late Col. JOHN D. POWERS, of Pender County, on the 20th of December, 1881 and they have a large family. The eldest daughter Miss PHEOBE SHAW, is a successful teacher, now living at Red Springs, N.C.
Mr. SHAW was chairman of the Democratic Executive Committee in 1896 and at present chairman of the Board of Elections for Lenoir County.
The SHAW home on "Liberty Hill" is an old fashioned Southern country home and the hospitality received there bears the same brand.
JACK ROBERT ROUNDTREE
J.R. ROUNDTREE was born in Brooklyn, NY, March 30, 1880. He comes of good old North Carolina stock, his father ALBERT L. ROUNDTREE being a native of Wilson County and his mother, one of the old and honored ROUNDTREE family of Lenoir County. Thirty two years ago his parents moved to Brooklyn, his father going at once into the cotton commission business in New York City.
He attended the Brooklyn Latin School until he was prepared to enter college and then matriculated at the University of North Carolina in the year 1903.
He took an academic course for three years and then entered law school, getting his license to practice law in the year 1903.
He began the practice of his profession in Chapel Hill, but in 1904 he removed to this city and formed a co-partnership with D.P. STERN, under the firm name of ROUNDTREE and STERN. In the autumn of 1905 this firm disolved and Mr. ROUNDTREE became the junior member of SHAW and ROUNDTREE.
In April 1905 Mr. ROUNDTREE married Miss CLARA WOOTEN of this city, and has his residence at 416 N. Mitchell Street.
Mr. ROUNDTREE is a Shriner of Oasis Temple A.A.O.N.N.M.S. Charlotte, K.T. of Durham Commandery, R. A. Mason of Durham Chapter, and a member of University Lodge A. F. and A. M. He also holds membership in Durham Lodge B.P.O.E. and at University of N.C. belonged to Sigma Nu, Omega Tau (legal) fraternities in addition to holding during his course there, position as business manager, "Yackety Yak" and sub- editor University Magazine, 1903.
page 60 and 62
YANCY THOMAS ORMAND
Y. T. ORMAND was born in Greene County, April 12, 1858. He is the son of THOMAS C. ORMAND. There were three brothers who originally came from England. One settled in one of the western counties, one in Beaufort County and one in Greene County.
WATKINS ORMAND was a son of the one who settled in Greene County. His brother WM. ORMAND, great Uncle to YANCY, was a pioneer Methodist preacher. By his will he appropriated $500.to build ORMAND'S Chapel and WATKINS ORMAND supplemented the gift and built ORMAND'S Chapel, a well known place of worship in Greene County today. The chapel stands near the ORMAND homestead, and it was there that YANCY T. ORMAND was born. His mother was Miss MARGARET A. EDWARDS of Greene County.
When the war closed he attended school at Carolina Seminary the best known school of that section at that time, and prepared to enter Trinity College. Entering in the autumn of 1876 he graduated with the class of 1878 while that teacher BRAXTON CRAVEN, was president of Trinity.
Returning to his home, he took charge of Carolina Seminary and for the next two years taught that school. In the reorganization of the educational activity of Greene County after the war he likewise had an important part, being chairman of the county board of education of Greene county for twelve or fifteen years prior to 1893.
In that year he removed to Burlington and associated himself with his brother W.E. ORMAND, in the conduct of the Burlington Academy, but after two years of confinement in the school his health demanded a change, and after a year in the insurance business, he took up the study of law in the office of Hon. W.H. CARROLL of Burlington and received his license in 1897. In August of the same year, he removed to this city and began the practice of his profession.
In 1885 he was married to Miss EUGENIA MANN, daughter of Rev. J.E. MANN, now dead. She is a graduate of Greensboro Female College. Mr. ORMAND and his accomplished wife have made for themselves a strong position in the social, religious and literary life of the city. They are devoted members of the Methodist Church and enthusiastic workers in every religious enterprise.
At the bar, no attorney exceeds him in devotion to his clients cause nor in exact adherence to the rigid definition of professional ethics.
THOMAS CHRISTIAN WOOTEN
T.C. WOOTEN was born at Elm Grove farm in Lenoir County, March 3. 1860. He received his early training in the private schools of Kinston. In 1881 he entered the University of North Carolina and took a two years course, after which he matriculated in the department of law and received the benefit of instruction under the great and late lamented professor of law, Hon. JOHN MANNING. He was licensed by the Supreme Court in September 1883. He located at Snow Hill Greene County, and engaged in practice there until January 1896, when he removed to Kinston.
Mr. WOOTEN is the son of Hon. JOHN F. WOOTEN, of Kinston, for many years one of the ablest advocates in Eastern Carolina. His mother, Miss MARY ADAMS CHRISTIAN, came from West Point, Virginia. She was of the distinguished family of Virginia lawyers, there having been at one time five judges of that name upon the benches of the courts of that state.
Mr. WOOTEN was married to Miss MARY MOORE, daughter of Rev. THOMAS MOORE of Snow Hill, by whom he has one child BESSIE CHRISTIAN. He is now married to Mrs. JULIA HOLDERNESS DIXON of Caswell County. They reside at their beautiful home on East Gordon Street.
In the national election of 1900 Mr. WOOTEN was an elector for the second district, but has never been a canidate for any political office. He devotes his entire time to the practice of law and his extensive business interest. He has in the last few years aquired large interest in Eastern North Carolina pine timber, and recently formed the Warsaw Lumber Company of Warsaw N.C. which is engaged in working up for market the product of numerous small mills into finished special lines for the trade.
He is senior member of the legal firm of WOOTEN and WOOTEN.
He was born November 2 1898 in Craven County and is the son of JOHN C. WOOTEN deceased and Mrs. MARY WOOTEN. The family moved to Kinston soon after his birth and he was prepared for college in the private school of Dr. R. H. LEWIS in Kinston.
In 1896 Mr. WOOTEN entered Wake Forest College, where he remained two years. Then deciding to prepare for the bar, he took up the study of law under Judge A.C. AVERY of Morganton, and received his license from the Supreme Court in February, 1900.
Soon after he formed a partnership with his uncle THOMAS CHRISTIAN WOOTEN in this city, which still exist under the name of WOOTEN and WOOTEN.
In April 1904 he was married to Miss NANNIE COX, youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. F. COX of this city. They have a handsome home on McIlvaine Street and are prominent factors in the social and intellectual activity of the town.
Mr. WOOTEN was a member of the Euzelain society at Wake Forest College, and of the Kappa Alpha fraternity. He held the position of city attorney of Kinston during the year 1903-1904. He is a prominent Odd Fellow and an enthusiastic member of the Encampment. His reputation as an after dinner speaker is second to none.
GEORGE VERNON COWPER (photo listed as Cooper)
Mr. COWPER was born in Hertford County, NC at his fathers residence, "Vernon Place", on December 20, 1879. He is the son of Hon. GEORGE COWPER, long prominent in this state as a member of the senate, a solicitor and a Judge on the old inferior court bench. Mr. COWPER attended school at the Winton High School, until he was prepared for the University of North Carolina, where he martriculated in the fall of 1897. After three years of study in the academic department he decided to prepare for the bar and took up the study of law in the University Law school. In 1901 Mr. COWPER received his license from the Supreme Court and began practice of law at Winton with his father.
During his career at the University Mr. COWPER was a member of the Philanthropic Literacy Society and Kappa Alpha (Southern) fraternity, editor of the Philanthropic Society in 1899, taking the President's medal in the commencement debate of June 1900. and the president of the law class and associate editor of the University Magazine in 1901.
In 1902 Mr. COWPER moved to this city and entered a partnership with Mr. E. M. LAND, a former school mate at the University of North Carolina.
Mr. COWPER has taken a part in the politics of the State even before he was 21 years of age, making a stumping tour of Hertford County in the advocacy of the constitutional admendment.
The new law firm was known as LAND and COWPER, and very soon became prominent at the Kinston bar.
One of their legal victories was in the establishment in the Boyette case of the doctrine of the unconstitutionality of the act of North Carolina legislature, which provides for the summary imprisonment of a person aquitted of homicide on the sole plea of insanity, 136 N C. Reports.
During the past February, the firm has been dissolved, and each member thereof maintains a separate office.
Mr. COWPER has been reared in the atmosphere of the law from his youth up, and is prominent as well in the social and literary circles of the city. He is exalted Ruler of the Kinston Lodge B.P.O.E., Past Noble Grand of the I.O.O.F., a member of the Board of Governors of the Industrial Club and one of the legal representatives of the Board of County Commissioners.
A.L. HYATT was born in Kinston in the year 1884 and is the only son of Dr. H.O. HYATT, who for many years a prominent physician of this city. Mr. HYATT studied under his father for several years and deciding to take up the practice of optometry took a position in the manufactory of McINTYRE, McGEE and BROWN, of Philadelphia, makers of optometric and optical instruments. Here, and in other schools of Philadelphia, he learned his profession.
He returned to Kinston and began the practice of optometry. He is an expert at fitting glasses for eyes that need them. He has every needed appliance for determining and diagnosing any trouble with eyes, congenital or aquired, and can supply any form or character of glasses needed. His office is in the HYATT building at the corner of Queen and Blount streets, where he is prepared to fit glasses and treat the eyes of his patrons.
DR. THOMAS W. PARROTT
He was born September 11, 1875 in Falling Creek Township, Lenoir Co. During the eighties he came with his widowed mother to Kinston and here prepared himself for college in the fall of 1893, he matriculated at the State university, where he remained for two years doing optional academic work.
He began the study of medicine by a three years service in a drug store. He then matriculated in the Maryland College of Pharmacy Baltimore Maryland, from which he graduated, with credit; receiving the degree of Ph.G. This was taken as a preliminary to the medical course later on. Having become familiar with the preparation of drugs by practical experience in a drug store and by college training, he determined to make himself proficient in the practice of medicine. So in the following autumn he matriculated as a medical student in the University of Maryland.
When the summer vacation came on, he returned home and was with his brother in his practice. He now became convinced of the great value of a southern clinical training to one intending to locate here, and determined to take his last course at Tulane University, Louisana. On arriving in New Orleans early in the fall, Dr. PARROTT was struck with the large number of fever diseases and to the treatment of these he paid special attention. Since that time he has worked with a view to making febrile maladies a specialty.
Dr. PARROTT graduated from Tulane this spring, 1899, the youngest member in a class of 114. He was granted license at the Ashville meeting of the state board.
He once again began in Kinston, his home town, where he has built up a large and lucrative general practice. In 1900 he took a post graduate course in New York, and in 1902 he spent some time abroad, graduating from the London Polyclinic and taking special work at the great Ormond street hospital, for sick children. And since then it has been his custom to take special lectures at the great medical centers at regular intervals.
He has been superintendent of health of Lenoir County, and is now surgeon for the second regiment, N.C.N.G. with the rank of captain. He is now medical examiner for various life insurance companies. He is a member of the North Carolina Medical Society, of which he has been vice President.
Dr. PARROTT was instrumental in the organization of the plans for the ROBERT BRUCE McDANIELL Memorial Hospital, and will lecture on materia medica and surgery, in the training school for nurses. He has erected and fitted out an office for his practice, complete in every respect and containing all modern appliances, adopted to the needs of a medical practitioner.
DR. R.A. WHITAKER
He was born January 8, 1857 in Jones County. His father, THOMAS J. WHITAKER had shortly before this date moved to that county from Wake. He was prepared for college in the county schools of Jones and entered Trinity College in 1878. He graduated in the class of 1882 with the degree of Bachelor of Arts. In this class were Dr. W.E. WHITE of Richmond, VA and DR. GEORGE McRAE of Philadelphia.
After a year at home he decided to study medicine and in 1883 entered the college of physicians and surgeons of Baltimore and graduated in 1885. He immediately began to practice in Trenton, NC and remained there until the year 1902, when he moved to this city and formed a partnership with his brother Dr. F. A. WHITAKER. He was for many years before his removal from Jones county superintendent of health of that county. He is now chairman of the section of medicine of the North Carolina State Medical Society.
Dr. WHITAKER was married in 1885 to Miss MARIA BIDGOOD of Farmville, VA. She died in 1893 and on April 18, 1896, he married Miss MARY C. MURRAY of Wilson, NC. His son RICHARD, is now a member of the freshman class at Trinity College. The doctor resides on West Washington street in a handsome residence built in 1901. A cut of the elegant Whitaker building which contains the offices of the Drs. WHITAKER appears on another page.
DR. CLAUDE LEONARD PRIDGEN
The subject of this sketch is the son of James A. and Mary A. pridgen. He comes from a good old English family, his maternal great grandfather having lived in Dublin Ireland a few years before sailing for America. He settled in Princess Anne Co. VA. and came thence to North Carolina to Beaufort. His descendants finally settled in Craven county where MARY WHITEHURST, the mother of Dr. PRIDGEN was born.
Of this branch of his family there were three majors of the revolutionary war and a major and two other officers of the civil war. His father's people settled in Greene county being connected and intermarrying with those fine old families of Greene that have been among the most prominent people of the State. His father volunteered early in the civil war while but a boy, and was in several of the battles of this state as well as the hard fought struggles in Virginia.
At the close of the war he was serving as lieutenant of his company, among which but few of the original members remained, having all been killed in Virginia.
There were other members of this family who served their state also. Two brothers of Mr. JAMES A. PRIDGEN being also from Greene county. MR. J. A. PRIDGEN moved to this city after his marriage to Miss WHITEHURST, and entered the mercantile business which he conducted with success until his retirement four or five years ago. He lived at that time in a fine old mansion at the corner of Queen and Gordon streets, which was destroyed in the great fire of 1895. Here in 1877 his youngest son CLAUDE LEONARD PRIDGEN was born.
Dr. C.L. PRIDGEN was prepared for college in the Kinston graded schools and Dr. LEWIS' schools. In 1893, at the age of 14, he entered Wake Forest College. Afterwards he began the study of medicine under Dr. JOHN A. POLLOCK , of this city, and after due preparation entered the medical department of the State University in 1897. Completing the full course there he entered Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia in 1899, graduating from this institution in 1901 with high honors. He then served as interne at three hospitals of Philadelphia, viz: Blockly, Southern Dispensary and the Charity Lying-in, from which he received a diploma of merit. While attending Jefferson, Dr.PRIDGEN was elected secretary and treasurer of the JAMES C. WILSON Medical Society of Philadelphia.
He applied to the State board of medical Examiners for license to practice in this state in 1901 and was one of the highest on the list of proficients. Dr. PRIDGEN then returned to Kinston where he commenced the practice of medicine. In 1901 he was elected county superintendent of health for Lenoir County and has held that office continuously since that time. In this capacity he has successfully waged two campaigns against epidemics of smallpox and two against diphtheria. It is largely due to his zeal and diligence in fighting these scourges that the city has not suffered to any extent from these epidemics. In this work, the practical experience which Dr. PRIDGEN received at the Municipal Hospital of Contagious Diseases, Philadelphia, was of great value in aiding him to stamp out these epidemics. He has received the commendation of the citizens of Kinston and Lenoir county for his courage and skill in handling these dreaded diseases.
Dr. PRIDGEN is a member of the North Carolina Medical Society and also an active member of the Lenoir County Medical Society. He was last year the delegate to represent North Carolina in the South Carolina State Medical Association. At the State University he was a member of Beta Theta Pi fraternity and has been presiding officer of several of the fraternal orders.
He is one of the foremost Masons in this part of the State.
Dr. PRIDGEN is also an enthusiastic student of North Carolina history and has probably done more to encourage its study among the pupils of the public schools than any other agency in this section of the state. He has a large and growing collection or original research papers and has established the PRIDGEN Medal for papers on North Carolina history open to all school children of Kinston and New Bern.
In the summer of 1905 he moved into his handsome new brick office on Gordon street where he is thoroughly equipped for his life work. Dr. PRIDGEN is one of our most gifted young men and is enjoying an excellent practice and the confidence of the people at large. He is a high toned gentleman and has a bright future before him. He has an especial fondness for surgery and obstetrics in which he is a skillful and successful operator.
DR. FRED A. WHITAKER
He was born November 19, 1849 in Wake County, NC. He removed with his father to Jones county when quite young.
Dr. WHITAKER was educated in the county schools, and later at Rutherford College. In 1872 he entered the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania.
In 1875 he was granted a diploma and began the practice of medicine in Jones County, where he practiced for 22 years.
He has been twice married. The first time to Mrs. CAROLINE W. (STANLEY) SHELFLER. She died in 1891 leaving four children. A few years afterwards he married Miss MARY E. BECTON, of Jones County.
In 1892 he took a post graduate course at the Polyclinic of New York City.
In 1898, Dr. WHITAKER moved to Kinston to continue his practice and built a fine residence on North Queen Street, where he now resides with his family. He has two sons now at Davidson College, STANLEY WHITAKER and EARL WHITAKER.
In 1902 his brother Dr. R. A. WHITAKER moved to Kinston from Jones County, and the two brothers formed a partnership for the practice of their profession.
In 1903 they built the handsom three story brick WHITAKER building, on North Main street, which remains the largest business block in the city. The Doctors WHITAKER occupy one of the lower floors for their offices.
Dr. WHITAKER, although throughly occupied with his practice finds time to lend his energies to any movement for the betterment of the city and has extensive business interest here and elsewhere. He is an enthusiastic member of the I.O.O.F. and one of the pillars of his church, the Methodist Church.
DR. JAMES M. PARROTT
He is the fifth son of the late JAMES M. PARROTT and ELIZABETH WATES PARROTT was born at the old Parrott plantation, six miles from Kinston on January seventh, 1874.
The family moved to Kinston some years after the death of the father for the education of the boys, and Dr. PARROTT was prepared for college at Kinston College, under the direction of Dr. LEWIS, and at the old graded school.
He entered Wake Forest College in 1887 and finished in 1891, taking with the classical course the preliminary medical studies of chemistry and biology. He also took post graduate courses in these two studies. He then returned to Kinston and studied medicine under Dr. JOHN A. POLLOCK for nearly two years. After this he entered the University of Maryland, at Baltimore, for one year. Then he went to Tulane University at New Orleans, where he graduated in medicine and surgery in two years with high honors. He spent one year in the hospitals of New Orleans, as interne and ambulance surgeon, winning the appointment to these positions by competitive examinations.
In 1895, Dr. PARROTT took the State examination in North Carolina, before the State Medical Society, making an average of 96, a mark rarely equaled in the history of the society. He immediatly began practice in Kinston, where he has identified himself professionally and in a business way with every good work.
In 1896 he was elected health officer of Lenoir County, which position he held until 1899, meeting and conquering during this period the first and most dangerous smallpox epidemic the city ever encountered.
In 1899, he was chosen by the medical department of the U.S. Army as a specialist in smallpox and yellow fever, to take charge of the immense First Division hospital in Havana, where he served for eight months with credit and efficiency.
Incidentally, it might be remarked that on his record in Havanna he was offered a position as surgeon for the Chinese relief expedition to Pekin, in 1899; but yielding to the wishes of his mother he resumed his practice here. Also his work in Havana was instrumental in gaining for him an offer from the agent of the Boer government during the South Africa war to serve as a medical officer of the Natal division of the Boer Army. The rigid blockades of the British Navy prevented his obtaining transportation and he did not go.
In 1897, Dr.PARROTT was made chairman of the section on surgery and anatomy of the State Medical Society. In 1898, he was leader of debate for the society, and his address on "Continued fevers", won much praise. Since 1897 he has been surgeon for the A. and N. C. Railroad, and is now secretary of their relief department. He is also surgeon for the Atlantic Coast Line. In 1898, he visited London and Edinboro and for six months studied in their hospitals.
For some weeks every year since 1897, he has done post graduate work in the hospitals of New York and Philadelphia.
His constant and successful work in his profession has given him a degree of prominence in the state. In 1900 he was made fourth vice President of the State Medical Society, and third vice president in 1901. In 1902 he was made a member of the State Board of Examiners and still holds that position. In 1904 he was elected Councillor for the Second Medical district. This position he now holds, having resigned his position as delegate from the Lenoir county Medical Society to the State Medical Society to accept it.
In 1905, Dr. PARROTT was appointed a director of the Asylum for the insane at Raleigh. Among his contributions to medical journals may be mentioned those on Supra Pubic Cystotomy vs Perineal section; "Penetrating Wounds of the Abdomen;" "Continued Fevers of N.C.;""Malarial Haemo-globin Neuria," this having been accepted by the profession generally as assisting materially in solving the problem of the yellow chill. He is now serving on the State committee to devise ways and means for controlling and preventing tuberculosis.
In 1904, Dr. PARROTT was tendered the position of surgeon to the national Democratic Convention, at St. Louis, but was unable to attend. In 1899 he moved into his new offices on Gordon Street and has there for the treatment of patients six especially constructed rooms, as complete as can be found anywhere. In addition to his general practice he is one of the promoters of the ROBERT BRUCE McDANIEL MEMORIAL HOSPITAL, which was dedicated on June 27, 1906. His special attention of late years has been directed to surgery and to diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat, though he still does general practice and is examiner for many life insurance companies.
He is now the annual orator for the State Medical Society, which meets in May, in Charlotte.
He is a member of the American Medical Association, as well as the county and state societies. He was one of the organizers of the Tri-State Medical Society of the Carolinas and Virginia, and also of the Seaboard Medical Society of North Carolina and Virginia, and has always figured very prominently in them all. He is also a member of the Board of trustees of Wake Forest College.
CAPTAIN J.W. GRAINGER
He is one of Kinston's progressive business men. He came to Kinston about 27 years ago from Green County, where he was born, October 15, 1845. He attended Hookerton Academy, and was later a student at Trinity College, while BRAXTON CRAVEN was it's president. In the summer of 1864, he enlisted in the junior Reserves, second regiment, and was made captain of Co. G., in which capacity he served during the remainder of the war.
He is reckoned among the leaders of all enterprises in our thriving city, having had much to do with it's standing at this time. For twenty seven years he has liberally given his time, money, and energy to the development of Kinston.
Mr. GRAINGER is one of the largest dealers in fertilizers, machinery, etc., in the State. He is a big truck farmer, one of the largest anywhere in this section. He owns several good farms, but his big truck farm is "Vernon", the old JOHN C. WASHINGTON home on the hill to the north of the town. He has remodeled the stately brick mansion, and has furnished it splendidly. It is a beautiful, a charming and a bewitching place, an ideal southern home- of which there are so few left. He has the broad acres surrounding the hill under the best cultivation in strawberries, beans, peas, cabbage, asparagus, canteloupes, etc.
He has made big money on truck. He is a practical man, and everything in his hands becomes profitable because well managed.
Mr. GRAINGER is now vice president and a director in three banks- the Bank of Kinston, the Citizens Bank, of Kinston and the First National Bank at Newbern. He has been made President of the recently formed North State Mutual Life Insurance Company, whose home is Kinston. He is a popular man, and a political leader of prominence. He represented Lenoir County in the legistature of 1885, having helped by his personal popularity to redeem the county, which was then in Republican hands.
He was town commissioner for five years. He has been on the county finance committee for 25 years. Six times he has led the Democrats of Lenoir to victory as chairman of the county executive committee. For 25 years he has been a member of the State Democratic executive committee, and his counsel has been sought and respected on many occasions. He is a faithful member of the Methodist Church.
For a number of years, Mr. GRAINGER has been chairman of the congressional executive committee of the seconfd district, and also of the county Democratic executive Committee. He has represented his party in two national Democratic conventions. He was the first president of the Kinston Board of Trade, and also the president of the Chamber of Commerce. He is now president of the Atlantic and North Carolina Railroad.
MR. GRAINGER was married in 1868 to Miss SALLIE L. COWARD who died in 1883. She was a daughter of JOHN H. COWARD, who was a prominent man in his section. She left him three daughters, Misses CAPITOLA, MADIE and SADDIE, and two sons, Mr. H. H. GRAINGER, and FRANK who has since died. In August 1884, MR. GRAINGER was married to Miss CLARA DIXON, of Greene county, an accomplished Christian lady, who presides over his charming family with grace and hospitality.
MRS. H. E. FRENCH
Kinston has a real live Daughter of the Revolution in the person of Mrs. HENRY E. FRENCH, mother of Mr. HENRY FRENCH, a grocerman of our city.
MRS. FRENCH was a Miss JULIA RUSSELL of New Berne, born in Onslow county Nov. 16, 1821. She was the youngest daughter of THOMAS RUSSELL who was in service on the American side in the struggle of the colonist to free themselves from the british yoke.
MRS. FRENCH is now in good health for one so advanced in years and spends most of her time with her son in this city.
MR. LEMUEL HARVEY
He was born in Lenoir county, February 14, 1845. He is descendant of the HARVEY'S who were conspicuous in colonial times for their courage and devotion to the cause of freedom. His father, Mr. AMOS HARVEY, is still living and is perhaps the oldest man in the county.
At the early age of 18, Mr. L. HARVEY began business for himself, and opened a general stock of goods in connection with his insurance. During the seventies he went out of the mercantile business and devoted his whole time thereafter to the sale of fertilizers, and to insurance. Later he began to buy cotton and for twenty years has been one of the largest buyers of the staple on our market.
In 1883, MR. HARVEY erected a block of brick stores on the west side of Queen Street, between Gordon and North. One of these stores is now occupied by the office of L. HARVEY and Son, and the others have been converted into a double store for L. HARVEY and Son Co.
MR. HARVEY was one of the pioneer truckers of this section. He invest very largely in potatoes, cabbage, beans and cantaloupes. The firm had last year 100 acres in truck and have shipped 10,000 or 12,000 packages this season. MR. HARVEY owns two very pretty farms just outside of the town limits.
MR. L. HARVEY was married in 1886 to Miss MARY A. YORK of Concord, NC. She died very soon.
On March 28, 1871, he was married to Miss IDA STEVENSON. From this union they have one son, Mr. C. FELIX HARVEY, and one daughter Miss MAY HARVEY.
He has served as director of the A. and NC Railroad Co., and States proxy for the same. During the early years of the graded school he did effective service as a member of the board of trustees; and is now closely connected with a number of business enterprises of our growing city and other interest outside of Kinston. For twenty five years he has been a member of the county Finance Committee.
HENRY T. OGLESBY
The subject of this sketch was born in Craven county, near the Lenoir line, November 15, 1876. When he was an infant his father removed to Princess Ann County, VA., where he was reared on a farm.
When young manhood came Mr. OGLESBY turned his face toward his native state, and in 1897 he made Kinston his home and entered the "trimming" department of C.T. RANDOLPH'S carriage factory. He went to work with a will and in three years he had mastered the trade and became foreman of the department. For five years he held the position of forman of this large and well known factory, resigning at the end of the year 1905, to accpt a similar position with the Temple Buggy Co., in Kinston.
Mr. OGLESBY was married November 15, 1900 to Miss MARY JENKINS, of Lenoir county. They have a happy home on East Chestnut street with two bright children to give added purpose to their lives.
By industry, thrift and economy, Mr. OGLESBY has accumulated some property and is reckoned as one of the city's solid young men.
He is a strict member of the M.E. Church, South, and is a steward in the same. He is also a prominent secret order man, being an Odd Fellow, Mason, a Junior and a Knight of Harmony. He is Past Grand in the Odd Fellows and has been honored in other lodges.
He is now serving the public most acceptably as one of the three dispensary commissioners of the city of Kinston. He is one of the city Democratic executive committee from the third ward.
MR. OGLESBY is a young man of much capacity, of good address and is generally liked by all. He is known among numerous friends in Kinston, Lenoir, and Craven counties as a man of convictions and character and has a bright promise of continued and wider usefulness.
The subject of this sketch was born in Jones county near Pollocksville, NC on November 2, 1856. The place of his birth was near the historic Lee's Chapel.
In the fall of 1879 Mr. FOY began merchandising in Trenton where in 1881 he erected there the only brick store in the county. He served the people of Jones county as sheriff in 1887-8, and made a good record while in office. He moved to Maysville, NC in 1895 and built up a good mercantile business under the name of Maysville Supply Company. In this he met with much success. In 1902 he moved to Kinston so as to be near his farming interest in Jones, to which he wished to devote personal attention.
Mr. FOY owns a large acreage of excellent farming land in Jones county. At one place, five miles South of Dover on the Dover and South Bound Railroad, he owns a tract of two thousand acres of fertile land on which is a fine mineral spring. The water contains 6.7 per cent of mineral to the gallon and is approved for it's health giving properties. The country is beautiful, well adapted to the growth of early vegetables and floral plants. The wood land is covered with pine, oak, ash, cypress and juniper. It is well adapted to the raising of sheep, cattle, hogs, goats and poultry.
The accessibility of the place to the railroad makes it desirable as a health resort as well as a place for farming and lumbering.
E. B. LEWIS
Mr. LEWIS was born in Halifax County, Virginia, in 1867. He was prepared for college by his father Dr. R. H. LEWIS in Kinston College, and in 1886 he entered Wake Forest College. In 1888 his eyesite failed completely and he was obliged to leave school. In June 1888 in company with three other young men of Kinston he went to Montana to try outdoor life for his eyes. Being completely cured, in 1889 he returned to NC and took a position as principal in the Ashville city schools where he taught for five years. During this period he was given leave of absence by school authorities to take a year's course at the Cook County Normal School of Chicago, and finished all the required studies in that time. He taught until 1898 having served in that time as teacher in the Indian and Mexican Schools of Arizona, as specialist in geography. In the Browning school of New York, and as superintendent of city schools in Concord, NC and for a short time in 1896 he was Indian agent for the White Mountain Apaches in Arizona. While serving in this capacity he took the only census of the White Mountain apaches that the United States Goverment has been able to secure on account of the suspicious and distrustful character of the Apaches. With only two attendants a guide and an Indian interpreter he spent nine weeks in the wildest and most dangerous country in the United States in this task. He is one of the few men living who have explored the most inaccessible prehistoric cave dwellings of Central Arizona, and he discovered many of these hitherto unknown caverns. In 1898 he was elected town clerk of the town of Kinston, and in 1900 was appointed private secretary to the Hon. CLAUDE KITCHEN, Representative of the Second Congressional District, which position he now holds. In 1903 he was elected a member of the Sovereign Executive Council of the Woodmen of the World, and was lately appointed State manager for North Carolina for the same order, both of which positions he still holds. He is a Fellow of the American Geographical Society.
HENRY T. MILLER
One of the younger men of Kinston to be placed in a responsible position is HENRY T. MILLER, manager of the Hickson Lumber Companyís branch office in this city.
Mr. MILLER was born in Richmond, Va., in 1885. He attended the city schools until at the age of eleven his parents moved to Canada, at the same time placing Henry at DeVeaux College, Niagara Falls, on the American side. Here he remained four years, after which time he came back to Richmond with his fatherís family. He then entered the Hoge Military Academy, at Blackstone, Va., where he completed the course of study, after which he took a business course at Poughkeepsie, New York. After completing which he entered the office of the Eagle Paper Company, of Richmond, as assistant book-keeper.
In 1903, Mr. MILLER came to Kinston and entered the office of the Hickson Lumber Company as stenographer. Mr. Hickson was at that time a resident of the city and manager of the lumber company. He has moved to South Carolina, leaving Mr. MILLER in control.
The home office of the Hickson Lumber Company is Lynchburg, Va., and the Kinston office is a branch. The company manufactures and carries on a jobbing trade In lumber. They deal in dressed and rough, long and short leaf pine. Besides taking care of the product of their own mills in South Carolina they handle the output of several large mills in this and other states.
GEORGE B. WEBB
He was born Kinston, July 8, 1855. He was educated in the local schools of that day, and after finishing school he applied himself to the acquirement of his fathers knowledge of mechanics. In 1876 he entered business with his father, the Rev. J. B. WEBB. The father came to this town 54 years ago, in 1844, and commenced building buggies in 1847 in the old court-house, on the northwest corner of King and Independence streets, under the Masonic Hall.
In 1878, after working with his father two years, Mr. GEORGE B. WEBB sold out his interest in the busines and until 1884, engaged in engineering. He then bought out Mr. THOMAS WILLIAMS, who had purchased Rev. J. B. WEBB'S shops, and began again the business and is still located at the same stand.
Mr. WEBB is our only undertaker and owns two hearses, one being very handsome. The healthfulness of Kinston is such that we need no more. He is thoroughly posted in this department, having had years of experience. In 1897 he took a special course in embalming at the Champion College of Embalming in Baltimore, graduating from that Institution and receiving a diploma.
Mr. WEBB is a natural mechanic. A knowledge of the intricacies of mechanical powers and appliances so mysterious to the ordinary mind, unfold themselves before him with little study. Mr. Webb inherited his talent for mechanics and has increased it by study. He has large constructive power, great observation and self confidence, all of which are necessary to success in this line. He is well posted on many scientific subjects and loves experimental investigation.
He is the Inventor and owner of WEBB'S Ice Shaver and Crusher, which is the best and most complete machine of its kind on the market. It fills all requirements of such a machine, and supplied a place that but for its invention would be still unfilled. It Is largely used on cool drink counters for shaving or crushing ice. It is the result of years of patient study and improvement and is a marvel in its simplicity and perfection.
He was first married in 1876 to Miss AGNES PITTMAN who died in 1882, leaving three children, two boys, GUY and FRANK, and one girl, Miss EVA.
In 1884, he married Miss EMMA PITTMAN. They have two little girls, AGNES and CARRIE LULA.
They lived on the corner of Queen and North street.
Mr. WEBB is a member of the Masons, Odd Fellows, Pythians, W.0.W. fraternal orders, and nearly all the insurance organizations with lodges here.
In the spring of 1898,. Mr. WEBB was elected by the Democratic party as Mayor of Kinston and was successively re-elected in 1899, 1900, 1901 and 1902.
Thus for four terms he served his fellow citizens as mayor, and during that period he devoted his time, energy and talents largely to the service of the city. During his administration the graded school was established and under his direction the first line of water pipe was laid for a few blocks up Queen street and the service tank built at the old electric light station. During this time Kinston was preparing the way for better and larger things which were determined upon in the spring of 1902 when bonds for public improvements were authorized by popular vote.
WILLIAM DURWARD POLLOCK
He was born in Onslow county October 4, 1862. Mr. POLLOCK is the youngest son of the late lamented Dr. W. A. J. POLLOCK.
He studied under Dr. R. H. LEWIS in Kinston and entered Wake Forest College. In the fall of 1881 he matriculated in the State University and graduated in 1885 with the degree of Ph. B.
Mr. POLLOCK was prepared for the law under Mr. A. J. LOFTIN, of the Kinston bar, and was admitted to the practice in 1888, at the September term of the Supreme Court of North Carolina.
He was elected mayor of Kinston in 1892, and again in 1893, and made an excellent officer.
He was made superintendent of public instruction for this county in 1889, and served until the expiration of the term in the summer of 1890. The study of North Carolina history had been much neglected and Mr POLLOCK at once made it understood that a knowledge of our history was essential in procuring certificates. By this and other means he started a sentiment for the study of North Carolina history in Lenoir county which is seen and felt today.
In 1894 he was chairman of the Democratic executive committee of Lenoir county. He filled this position with great ability for two years. He made a splendid fight in the campaign of 1894, without a parallel for boldness and vigorous enunciation of Democratic principles, coupled as it was with the greatest honesty, sincerity and good feeling.
In March, 1897, he was elected lieutenant commanding the Kinston division of Naval Reserves. He remained in this position throughout the late war and held his division in readiness to go to the front.
In November 1898, the "Wilmington Riot" took place and and the Kinston Division of Naval Reserves was one of the first organizations ordered there by the Adjutant General to assist in preserving order. Lieut. POLLOCK carried his full division, with a Colt rapid fire gun, on a special train, and for six days and nights he and his boys did outpost duty in the worst holes and corners of "Brooklyn", "Gooseneck", and "Dry Pond" without one hourís rest.
In the summer of 1900, Mr. POLLOCK was appointed Commissioner for North Carolina to the Paris Exposition, and spent several months in Paris and travelling on the continent and in England.
In 1901, be was appointed aide on the staff of Governor AYCOCK, with the rank of Colonel, and in 1905, was reappointed by Governor GLENN, which position be still holds. In 1905, he married Miss FRANCES BURTON HOKE, of Raleigh, daughter of General R. F. HOKE. They live at No. 106 McLwean street.
THE FREE PRESS CO.
The Kinston Free Press was established in April, 1882 by JOSEPHUS and C. C.DANIELS. JOSEPHUS DANIELS is now editor of the Raliegh News and Observer,one of the leading newspapers the South. C. C. DANIELS is successfully practicing law at Wilson, N.C. In 1886 W. S. HERBERT purchased half interest in the Free Press, becoming local editor and manager, with C C. DANIELS, at that time editor of the Wilson Advance, as editor. In 1889 Mr. HERBERT purchased Editor DANIEL'S interest and became sole owner of the Free Press. In the great Kinston fire of 1895, The Free Press office was burned and everything lost except the books and subscription lists. However, not a single issue of the paper was missed, but the printers were hurried to Goldsboro and got out an extra, giving an account of the fire the next day after it occurred. Then after a new outfit was secured the paper was again printed in Kinston.
In February, 1896, a stock company was formed and incorporated. Mr. W S. HERBERT retaining all the common stock and selling only a small quantity of preferred stock in order purchase material necessary to publish twice rather than once a week.
On April 5, 1898 appeared the first issue of the Daily Free Press, and since then the daily and semi-weekly Free Press have become a part of the life of this community.
In the spring of 1902, the Kinston Publishing Company was formed with a view to still further increasing the equipment of the paper, and the job office. This was done to a large extent. In the fall of 1902 the president of the company, Mr. W. S. HERBERT, died, and the property was acquired by Capt. J. W. GRAINGER, one of our leading business men.
The Free Press plant now consist of a well-equipped newspaper and job office. It contains a linotype machine of the latest pattern, for newspapers and book work; three job presses, a Cottrell cylinder press, display and job type, etc. The office now uses steam power, but expects soon to put in electric motors.
The Free Press office is probably the best equipped for the various kinds of job printing of any office in a town anywhere near its size in the State. A large quantity of job printing is turned out, the excellent quality of work having earned for The Free Press a large patronage from many places in the State, and orders for job printing come occasionally from other States.
The Free Press by constantly urging our people to co-operation has helped to build up Kinston, and has grown with the town. Not many years ago Kinston had about 1,750 population; now it has about 8,000. Then the town had stopped growing; now it is going forward rapidly, new houses are constantly going up; the volume of business has increased in even greater ratio; people are coming here from greater distances to do their trading. Then Kinston was not known beyond Goldsboro; now it is known all over the State and in other States as the best town in Eastern North Carolina.
It is known as a live town of substantial progress-no mushroom, or boom growth about it. No invitation has been, or is, held out to failures in other communities to come to Kinston-it is a bad place for them-but good people who will establish some needed industry here and work it for all it is worth are invited and will succeed here. It is a good town for live capitalists or workers.
The Free Press has been a factor in bringing about the growth of Kinston by helping to get the people to pull together for the good of the community, and hopes to be even more useful to the community in the future. The paper had faith in Kinston and expressed it. Some of our people had doubts at first and laughed at The Free Press; but others of our people also had faith, and they and The Free Press went to work, even in the face of seeming insurmountable obstacles with the result that we now have the livest town in North Carolina, as this fine Industrial Issue shows it to be.
DANIEL T. EDWARDS, editor of the Daily and Semi-Weekly Free Press was born at Ormondaville, Green county, N. C., October 16, 1870. While he was yet in infancy his parents removed to Arkansas, where he lived until about seven or eight years age. He then came back to North Carolina, with the family, and for number of years made his home in Randolph county, spending most of his time on his grandfatherís farm. Here he did all kinds of work that usually devolves upon the farmer boy, both before entering school and during the vacations between sessions.
Mr. EDWARDS received his primary and high school education in High Point, N. C., where his mother taught school for several years. After thus being prepared for College he entered he Freshman class at Trinity College in the fall of 1887. His health did not admit of his continuing in college four years without a break and he was thrown back one year during which he returned to the farm to again build himself up physically. Re-entering college he was graduated in 1882, with the degree of A. B., his class being the last one to graduate at Triniy before the removal of the college to Durham, N. C.
After graduating he taught school and then attended the Law School the University of North Carolina where he received a certificate of proficiency from Dr. JOHN MANNING, the head of the department. Later he secured license from the Supreme Court of the state but never actively engaged in the practice. In 1895 went to New York City, where for a time he was engaged in doing office work until he decided to take up further University work. Having secured the Helen Miller Gould scholarship at the University of New York, he entered the graduate department of that institution, from which he received the degree of Ph. D., at the commencement exercises held in the Metropolitan Opera House in June, 1899.
After this Mr. EDWARDS secured license to teach in the New York city schools, and until February, 1903 taught in the schools of Manhattan and Brooklyn boroughs.
On April 3, 1901, he married Miss CAPITOLA GRAINGER of Kinston, and for two years Mr. and Mrs. EDWARDS lived in New York City. In 1903 however, Mrs. EDWARD'S health failed, it was decided to return South and in the early part of that Mr. EDWARDS became editor of the Free Press, a position left vacant death of Mr. W. S. HERBERT. Mr. and Mrs. EDWARDS have one bright interesting little girl to bless their SARAH GRAINGER EDWARDS, about two years old.
Since he has been connected the Free Press extensive improvements have been made in the paper and the policy of the management is to make the publication more and more fully representative of Kinston, Lenoir county, and the interest of Eastern Carolina in general.
WILEY K. BEASLEY, business manager of the Free Press, was born in Oxford, N. C., July 1, 1878. His early youth was spent in Florida, and at Ocala, in that State, he, at the age of fifteen entered a printing office as "devil". This was the beginning of a practical education in the printing business which he has followed continuously ever since.(page 73) He has at different times worked in Virginia and in Durham, N. C.
He came to Kinston in 1898, and entered the Free Press office, and was one of the compositors to set type on the first issue of the Daily Free Press, which appeared in April of that year. He was connected with C. F. KOONCE in publishing the Morning News, in Kinston, for three months. He was later the owner and editor of the Elm City Elevator, and in 1904-í05 was employed on the Morning Post, in Raleigh.
On June 7, 1905, Mr. BEASLEY was married to Miss EMMA BALLARD, of this city, and two weeks later he came to Kinston as the business manager of the Free Press, which position he now fills.
Mr. BEASLEY has acquired a thorough practical education in the printing business, knows it in all its branches, and is ready with his pen. He is a young man of much ability and has a good future before him.
CHARLES W. FORLAW, city editor of the Free Press, was born in Duplin county, July 22, 1870. Until fourteen years of age he lived at Kenansvllla, where he received instruction under Professor R. W. MILLARD, one of the most thorough instructors of his day. In 1884 he removed to Kinston, where he continued his studies in the graded school, from which he graduated later on. He then continued his studies in Kinston College, of which Professor W. B. LEE was president.
Mr. FORLAW became connected with the Free Press in 1902, when he became local editor. This position he has held continuously ever since. He is a capable and faithful young man, loves newspaper work, and has given a good account of himself while holding his present position.
KINSTON SCHOOL OF STENOGRAPHY AND TYPEWRITING
We teach the BEN PITMAN system as authorized by BARNES. This system is universally regarded as one of the most valuable among the several standard systems, all of which are but changes or modifications of the origInal ISAAC PITMAN System. We know of no better way to prepare yourself for something higher, which will offer better remuneration, better hours and more favorable surroundings than stenography and typewriting. The constantly growing demand of this exceedingly interesting and useful art, is calling for thousands of intelligent and active young men and women to fill lucrative positions in the ever-widening fields of business, science and oratory. The great value of this art in saving time is now recognized all over the civilized world.
Mrs. BOBBITT completed the stenographic and typewrIting course at SMITHDEAL'S Business College and has fitted herself to handle almost every variety of stenographic work. Pupils solicited. For further information apply to Mrs. W. A. BOBBITT, Room 4, WHITAKER Building, Kinston, N. C.